Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Most migrations of efts reported in the northeastern Unites States occur in both spring and fall (April and May and August to October).’
- 1.1Zoology The juvenile stage of a newt.
- ‘Eastern newts have three stages of life: the aquatic larva or tadpole, the red eft or terrestrial juvenile stage, and the aquatic adult.’
- ‘On a recent pond survey at Logan's Meadow a large number of Eft's have been found.’
- ‘These newts are born in the water like most newts, then the red eft emerges from the water and lives on land for a season before returning to the water.’
Old English efeta, of unknown origin. Compare with newt.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.