Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Shining brightly; radiant.
shining, light, brilliant, vivid, blazing, dazzling, beaming, intense, glaringView synonyms
- ‘Even in this instance, it shined through like the effulgent, yet blinding sun, eminently spreading the glow into the unsuspecting eyes of a person not protected by the shade of the trees.’
- ‘He who meditates becomes united with the effulgent Sun.’
- ‘In the night sky, nothing is brighter and more effulgent than the moon.’
- ‘As I write I can still see the slender threads of gold emanating from an effulgent sun spreading over the feet of the ascending Christ like the sheerest fiber from a spider's web.’
- ‘The soul is 10,000 times more effulgent than the sun, but the covering of ignorance is so strong that we appear to be like dead matter.’
- 1.1 (of a person or their expression) emanating joy or goodness.‘standing there was my father with the most effulgent smile on his face’
- ‘After this he quickly returned and prostrated himself once more before the effulgent brothers.’
- ‘People used to explain me as an effulgent person.’
- ‘He inhabits one of those effulgent personalities that transcends whatever it is he is supposed to be doing, along with an ebullient fan base and a well-promoted ordinary blokiness that charms men and mums alike.’
- ‘On the other hand, Fonteyn in all her effulgent glory is caught extreme and wonderful.’
- ‘When I succeeded Archbishop Tutu many questions were being asked as to how this relatively unknown young man was going to fill the shoes of such an effulgent personality.’
Mid 18th century (earlier ( mid 17th century) as effulgence): from Latin effulgent- ‘shining brightly’, from the verb effulgere, from ex- ‘out’ + fulgere ‘to shine’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.