Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The flowing out of a substance or particle.‘the same active efflux of sodium from the cytoplasm to the external medium’
leak, leakage, spill, seepage, drip, dribble, discharge, emanation, issue, flow, outflow, outpouring, gushView synonyms
- ‘In this study, glucose uptake and efflux from border cells was measured in vitro.’
- ‘Later, the efflux of solutes from chloroplasts was measured.’
- ‘The first step in this process is calcium ion efflux from the cells.’
- ‘For the first category of compounds, it is the cell wall, together with the outer membrane and associated proteins, which presents a potential barrier to influx and efflux of chemical compounds.’
- ‘The scary aspect of this is that calcium ion efflux occurs at intensities and field strengths that are extremely low.’
- 1.1 Material that is flowing out.‘the routing for the jet efflux also needs to be considered’
- ‘Diverse mechanisms may be responsible for the development of resistance for Cr in microbes, including chromate efflux 85.’
- ‘Together, these findings are consistent with the current being carried by a burst of Cl - efflux through Cl - permeable channels that activate almost simultaneously.’
- ‘So, by such a transport inhibition of ketone body efflux from the liver, the brain is deprived of those energetic compounds leading to lower BDH activity.’
- ‘Efflux was then measured in tubes containing an assay layer without added Glc.’
- ‘It is a feature of the results in Fig.2 that sucrose efflux and K + efflux respond similarly to rises in turgor, including the larger rise at highest turgor seen in P. vulgaris though not always in V. faba.’
Mid 16th century: from medieval Latin effluxus, from effluere ‘flow out’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.