One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a liquid) giving off bubbles; fizzy.‘an effervescent mixture of cheap wine, fruit flavours, sugar, and carbon dioxide’
sparkling, carbonated, gassy, aerated, bubbly, bubbling, frothy, foamingView synonyms
- ‘It is a kind of effervescent drink that you make by adding water to the crystals and it is supposed to ‘pick you up’ and get you ready to go when you have had too much to drink the night before.’
- ‘He raised his glass, looked at the clear, effervescent liquid with the light glinting invitingly through it, swirled it a little, inhaled approvingly, and took a cautious sip, but he didn't swallow immediately.’
- ‘The original root beer was a low-alcohol, naturally effervescent drink made by fermenting a blend of sugar and yeast with various roots, herbs and barks, such as sarsaparilla, sassafras, wild cherry, wintergreen, vanilla and ginger.’
- ‘The effervescent and heady drink is retailed in two air-conditioned halls of this outlet, which is frequented by a growing segment of young professionals and students.’
- ‘It's effervescent and sparkly, but like champagne it can become indigestible after prolonged exposure.’
2Vivacious and enthusiastic.‘effervescent young people’
- ‘Yet, along with the soaring voices and jaunty hand-clapping of La La La Song, Low seem in effervescent, ebullient mood.’
- ‘The effervescent and downright bubbly host has evolved from just another flirtatious cable TV personality into a globe-trotting media mogul.’
- ‘He is bubbly, effervescent, and clearly chock full of manic energy.’
- ‘Paula's distinctive art is everywhere, adding colour and a light-hearted atmosphere that reflects her effervescent personality.’
- ‘Monica will bring to these concerts the fruits of her demanding approach in rehearsal, her natural virtuosity as a player and her effervescent, charismatic musicianship.’
Late 17th century: from Latin effervescent- ‘boiling up’, from the verb effervescere (see effervesce).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.