Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of something inanimate or abstract) successful in producing a desired or intended result; effective.‘tobacco smoke is the most effectual protection against the midge’
effective, successful, efficacious, productive, constructive, fruitful, potent, powerfulView synonyms
- ‘If this can be done, the rampart which the constitution has built up to secure the hearthstone from rude intrusion, is an effectual defense no longer.’
- ‘However, the court may order such particulars as may be necessary to prevent surprise and unnecessary expense and to ensure a fair and effectual trial.’
- ‘It was a wonder of his grace, that the call was made so effectual.’
- ‘The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.’
- ‘It is true, the Lord can, and I hope He often does, make that preaching effectual to the conversion of sinners, wherein little is said expressly to them, only the truths of the gospel are declared in their hearing’
- 1.1Law (of a legal document) valid or binding.
valid, authentic, legally acceptable, proper, bona fide, genuine, official, signed and sealedView synonyms
- ‘The Commissioner of Stamp Duties accepted, on the basis that these documents were effectual, that there was no duty assessable.’
- ‘Clause 6 reads: ‘The lease is deemed to be, and to have always been, as valid and effectual as if all the land that is subject to the lease had not been that land described in the Schedule.’’
- ‘I have already referred the Court to section 151, which deals with when instruments of lease become effectual, which is on registration.’
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin effectualis, from Latin effectus (see effect).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.