Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organ or cell that acts in response to a stimulus.as modifier ‘effector cells’
- ‘There is, however, growing evidence that specific proteases may also act as mediators of signal transduction or effectors of programmed cell death during plant senescence.’
- ‘The eosinophil is believed to be the principal effector cell for the pathogenesis of allergic inflammation.’
- ‘The short prodomains caspases induced cell apoptosis, which played an effector as a target protein of cytosol or nucleus.’
- ‘The mechanism by which immune effector cells subsequently coordinate to construct a cellular capsule is also not understood.’
- ‘Previous studies on axon guidance have provided a wealth of information about guidance factors, their receptors, and cytoplasmic effectors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.