One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a strange and frightening manner.‘their footsteps echoed eerily’as submodifier ‘the streets are eerily quiet’
- ‘These holiday season signs seem eerily out of place in this grief-stricken city.’
- ‘In front of him stood a masked man clutching a knife in one hand, grinning eerily at him.’
- ‘Some of the windows had shutters that were eerily creaking in the slight breeze.’
- ‘He plays a talented sculptor who has made a living making his wax creations look eerily lifelike.’
- ‘I found myself in downtown Chicago and the city was eerily deserted.’
- ‘If the above description sounds eerily familiar, it should.’
- ‘He defied the wishes of his family concerning his career in a manner eerily prophetic of his son.’
- ‘Attempting to convey an epic feel on a low budget, the movie introduces us to an amnesiac protagonist who wakes up to an eerily empty London.’
- ‘The main complex loomed before them, eerily lit by the setting sun and the fire.’
- ‘And the rain hammered the villa from all sides and the wind howled eerily, wanting to get in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.