Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used to express alarm, horror, or surprise:‘it could be regarded as a bit of a novelty single—eek!’
- ‘Sunday morning and I was a little bit worse for wear… we got ready and Katie headed out to pick up Gareth's auntie for a meet the family meal… eek!’
- ‘So while I would be loathe to criticize someone for being out-of-the-loop, musically (cause eek, I hate it when people do that), this does feel a little… cribbed.’
- ‘Carry on north through the tunnel - eek, there be dragons!’
- ‘The earliest section of the quiz requires you to match the replies given by some random selection of, eek, ordinary people.’
- ‘They were so nice, and then they'd move in to kiss me and I'd be like, eew, eek.’
- ‘For example, in London, more than half of all council tax bills will be over £1, 000 - eek!’
- ‘As it happens, UK house prices soared in 2002, rising over 25%, while average salaries increased by around 4% - eek!’
- ‘This was a mistake, the world spun, and I had to hold on to the dresser to stop from falling over, my throat seized up, and brought back those razor blades. eek!’
- ‘Stephen joined us at Caseys (where the scary old man from last time was again… eek!).’
- ‘I'm willing to bet you're charged between 12% and 30% interest per year if you don't pay off your balances in full every month - eek!’
- ‘Last year we spent - wait for it - £117 billion on plastic - eek!’
- ‘It shouldn't be a contest anyway, but if Donna was to suddenly decide she wanted more than a friendship… eek.’
- ‘I haven't been able to because, eek, band camp is taking up most of my days.’
- ‘I think I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to ever have a party up there, though - drunk people at sort-of-great height, eek.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.