One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of an ancient people living in Edom, a region south of the Dead Sea, in biblical times, traditionally believed to be descended from Esau.
- ‘It was a region populated by Edomites who had been forced by the Maccabees to convert to Judaism.’
- ‘The Edomites sided with the Babylonians under King Nebuchadnezzar when they conquered Judah and devastated Jerusalem.’
- ‘During their Wilderness Journey, the Israelites were ‘headed off at the pass’ by the Edomites who refused passage through their territory.’
- ‘King Herod was an Edomite (also called Idumean), not a Jew.’
- ‘Apparently the only nations descended from Sarah and Abraham were the Hebrews, the Ishmaelites, the Midianites, and the Edomites.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.