One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of, produced by, or influenced by the soil.‘long-term cultivation may cause near-irreversible edaphic changes’
- ‘West Indian genotypes are adapted to humid tropical conditions and are hence very cold sensitive but show tolerance of soil salinity and other adverse edaphic conditions.’
- ‘Such environmental and edaphic changes may greatly influence plant growth and survivorship, shaping species composition in the post-harvest community.’
- ‘Some plant species are tolerant of edaphic factors in serpentine soils.’
- ‘Consequently, we would expect that the observed distributions of species reflect both the distributions of key environmental and edaphic influences as well as historic and current disturbance events.’
- ‘The three populations were classified into two edaphic groups according to soil type.’
Late 19th century: coined in German from Greek edaphos ‘floor’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.