Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A parasite, such as a flea, that lives on the outside of its host.Compare with endoparasite
- ‘We measured various indicators of male health and condition, including the intensity of infection from ectoparasites and blood parasites.’
- ‘Several ectoparasite species often infect the same nest, and host responses against one parasite could affect the fitness of other ectoparasites and modify ectoparasite communities.’
- ‘Fifth, we test for correlations between ectoparasites and blood parasites.’
- ‘The negative association between the two ectoparasites suggests that hen fleas could impose selection pressures on the evolution of Protocalliphora life history traits.’
- ‘Cavity-nesting hosts will often face ectoparasites during reproduction.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.