One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person with a lean and delicate build of body.
- ‘Still, extreme ectomorphs can't eat lean and clean and maximize mass.’
- ‘I was once a guest at a spa where we could avail ourselves of a ‘wellness expert’ who could customise a person's meals based on whether she was, say, a thyroidal mesomorph or an adrenal ectomorph.’
- ‘If your thumb and fore-finger overlap, you are an ectomorph; if they touch, you are a mesomorph; and if they do not touch at all, you are an endomorph.’
- ‘This is, in fact, the best strategy for struggling ectomorphs.’
- ‘Even an ectomorph has a body - and is defined, in some sense, by his body.’
- ‘I'm an ectomorph with medium ash brown hair that I'm always ruining by dyeing it (so it always has garish brassy orange tones), brown eyes that I sometimes conceal with grey contacts, and cadaverously fair skin.’
- ‘For example, if you're more of an ectomorph and need to add a little muscle before it can show, simply add resistance to some of the exercises.’
- ‘The hardest part for me as a natural ectomorph is eating enough to maintain my weight.’
- ‘She looked like the sort of junior ectomorph who could empty the fridge and still not put on a surplus ounce.’
- ‘If you are now starting a fitness programme, it is a good idea for you to know what is your body type - mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph, or a cross between two types.’
- ‘Mesomorphs have it made, and ectomorphs come in a close second.’
- ‘Exercises such as flat and incline bench press, leg press, squats, shoulder presses, rows, inverted rows and lat pulldowns should be used by ectomorphs to gain strength.’
1940s: ecto- from ectodermal (being the layer of the embryo giving rise to physical characteristics which predominate) + -morph.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.