Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A new town designed to facilitate a lifestyle that has as little impact on the environment as possible.
- ‘The Daily Telegraph has also learned that the planned housing density for the eco-towns in some places is equivalent to an inner city.’
- ‘Flint wants between 30 % and 40 % of houses in her eco-towns to be for the poor.’
- ‘Are eco-towns an important first step as part of a long term strategy to tackle global warming?’
- ‘What is the point of eco-towns?’
- ‘James Woudhuysen warned of the dangers of Brownfield Brutalism and urged friendly bombs to fall on Brown's eco-towns.’
- ‘The Co-operative Group is bidding to build an eco-town called Pennbury on land it owns between Stoughton and Great Glen in Leicester.’
- ‘In essence, eco-towns are a brilliant idea, and one that we should embrace.’
- ‘New eco-towns, consisting of 5,000-10,000 homes, would have strong public transport links to nearby setlements.’
- ‘The report argues that demand for housing should be met by regenerating existing villages and towns rather than by eco-towns.’
- ‘Should we make existing towns and cities greener and abandon eco-towns?’
- ‘He is also championing the creation of eco-towns and aims to push through a Climate Change bill.’
- ‘Not content with eco-towns and Duchy Originals, the Prince of Wales is involved in a new business: tending graves.’
- ‘The eco-towns are described as larger versions of Prince Charles ' Poundbury estate in Dorset.’
- ‘The government's plans to build eco-towns have turned out to be so many Potemkin villages.’
- ‘Last month ministers unveiled a shortlist of 15 sites across England that will eventually be whittled down to 10 eco-towns.’
- ‘The Government could make millions of pounds from eco-towns while watering down their green credentials, the Telegraph has revealed.’
- ‘They really, really did want an eco-town in Cambois, where the post office, shop and pub have successively gone.’
- ‘Riba was very keen to help with these eco-towns and to ensure that good design followed good planning, he emphasised.’
- ‘It looks as if the government will wait until the spring before announcing formally that only one or two proposed eco-towns are viable.’
- ‘Now, he has said that both Labour's eco-towns and other urban areas should be adapted to improve people's health.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.