Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A region of transition between two biological communities:‘ecotones between two habitats are often richer in species than either’
- ‘The apparent importance of ecotones in defining habitat quality for Northern Spotted Owls in northwestern California is based on long-term observational data.’
- ‘Belt transects or strip transects have traditionally been used to study transitions between community types, such as the ecotone between a forested community and the grassy vegetation in a forest opening.’
- ‘This migratory species is especially vulnerable to flooding because of its ground foraging ecology, but little is known about patterns of habitat occupancy at wetland ecotones.’
- ‘I relocated white-footed mice from high-quality, oak-dominated hardwood and lower quality, white pine forests to novel sites and released them along the ecotone of these two habitat types.’
- ‘Tigers thrive in the areas known as ecotones that exist between cultivation and dense forest.’
Early 20th century: from eco- + Greek tonos tension.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.