Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The branch of biology that deals with the relations of organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings.
preservation, protection, safeguarding, safe keeping, keeping, guarding, saving, looking afterView synonyms
- ‘Outdoor experts will teach ecology and the river environment as it pertains to supporting the carp species.’
- ‘We were leaning about ecology in our biology class and this involved a trip to Dublin Zoo.’
- ‘Therefore, measurements of dive depths and profiles are significant components in many studies of seabird foraging ecology.’
- ‘The reductionist approach is thus coupled with the ecology of whole organisms.’
- ‘A general goal of avian evolutionary ecology is to understand mechanisms driving patterns of community organization.’
- ‘Scientists say they still have a lot to learn about ecology at Mount St. Helens.’
- ‘Despite the abundance of Impatiens species in China, studies of pollination systems and pollination ecology have not been reported.’
- ‘Effective management for this species is hampered because relatively little is known about nesting ecology.’
- ‘After a few years of working in the field, I went back to graduate school to study marine ecology.’
- ‘Then I got a Ph.D. in ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Tennessee.’
- ‘So instead of a plan based on timber production, it is based on ecology as well.’
- ‘Masters and doctoral programs feature ecosystem ecology courses in restoration.’
- ‘It always interested me why that happened, and why it happened at the same time that the science of ecology was born.’
- ‘The emphasis is on horticultural aspects of reproductive biology and pollination ecology.’
- ‘After his formal retirement in 1974, Dan made significant contributions to urban wildlife ecology and conservation.’
- ‘The latter paper complements the majority of those in this volume that focused on stopover ecology in eastern North America.’
- ‘In this paper, recent work on fruit type evolution in angiosperms is reviewed in relation to dispersal agents and habitat ecology.’
- ‘Behavioral ecology is a naturalistic perspective somewhat similar to sociobiology.’
- ‘Whale Study Week includes boat trips as well as classes in whale biology and general marine ecology.’
- 1.1 The political movement concerned with protection of the environment.
- ‘The women's and ecology movements are therefore one.’
- ‘He has long been widely cited by many different branches of the radical ecology movement.’
Late 19th century (originally as oecology): from Greek oikos ‘house’ + -logy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.