One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of biology that deals with the relations of organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings.
preservation, protection, safeguarding, safe keeping, keeping, guarding, saving, looking afterView synonyms
- ‘We were leaning about ecology in our biology class and this involved a trip to Dublin Zoo.’
- ‘The reductionist approach is thus coupled with the ecology of whole organisms.’
- ‘Masters and doctoral programs feature ecosystem ecology courses in restoration.’
- ‘It always interested me why that happened, and why it happened at the same time that the science of ecology was born.’
- ‘A general goal of avian evolutionary ecology is to understand mechanisms driving patterns of community organization.’
- ‘Scientists say they still have a lot to learn about ecology at Mount St. Helens.’
- ‘In this paper, recent work on fruit type evolution in angiosperms is reviewed in relation to dispersal agents and habitat ecology.’
- ‘Behavioral ecology is a naturalistic perspective somewhat similar to sociobiology.’
- ‘Then I got a Ph.D. in ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Tennessee.’
- ‘Therefore, measurements of dive depths and profiles are significant components in many studies of seabird foraging ecology.’
- ‘Despite the abundance of Impatiens species in China, studies of pollination systems and pollination ecology have not been reported.’
- ‘After his formal retirement in 1974, Dan made significant contributions to urban wildlife ecology and conservation.’
- ‘Effective management for this species is hampered because relatively little is known about nesting ecology.’
- ‘The emphasis is on horticultural aspects of reproductive biology and pollination ecology.’
- ‘After a few years of working in the field, I went back to graduate school to study marine ecology.’
- ‘So instead of a plan based on timber production, it is based on ecology as well.’
- ‘The latter paper complements the majority of those in this volume that focused on stopover ecology in eastern North America.’
- ‘Whale Study Week includes boat trips as well as classes in whale biology and general marine ecology.’
- ‘Outdoor experts will teach ecology and the river environment as it pertains to supporting the carp species.’
Late 19th century (originally as oecology): from Greek oikos ‘house’ + -logy.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.