Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not harming the environment; eco-friendly.‘with its rustic bamboo construction and solar-heated shower, the accommodation looked eco enough’
- ‘In the case of the eco documentary Earth, the industry will be measuring it in trees.’
- ‘The domestic thermal power plants will be forced to buy green certificates to meet their eco energy quota.’
- ‘Chevy Chase invites us to his eco crib.’
- ‘They will gather at Newport car park at 11.30 am on Saturday and march to the eco village at Brithdir Mawr.’
- ‘It has built a museum and created an eco park.’
- ‘Young people, Otley's Jubilee Clock and an eco centre on the Chevin are set to keep the town's new mayor busy for the coming year.’
- ‘Help came in the form of a £ 55,000 grant from the National Millennium Committee to self build their own eco rehearsal space.’
- ‘Earlier this week the school held a special eco conference to discuss how pupils could do more to help make Swindon a healthier place.’
- ‘St Vincent has a fascinating history and unbelievably dramatic terrain - it's a real treat for adventure lovers and eco freaks.’
- ‘Paul Gladman and Kerry Medhurst won £ 5,000 for building an energy-saving home as part of an eco self-build competition.’
- ‘This fair at Sir Winston Churchill's former country home is part of a series at National Trust houses with an eco theme.’
- ‘The eco warriors received a frosty reception from staff - one of them hosing the protesters down with cold water.’
- ‘If you're a member of Hester you can opt to have some or all of your savings put into their eco fund.’
- ‘The initiative led to an improvement of the urban environment in Belogradchik after an illicit dumping site was turned into an eco park.’
- ‘Construction will soon be under way to construct a £ 9 million eco depot, which even recycles its own rainwater.’
- ‘The massive 32 ft stretched Hummer limo is powered by a potpourri of eco fuels.’
- ‘The Gateway Hotel, another on the Group's big list, has joined hands with children in a big way for its eco programmes.’
- ‘It was about five years ago that my eco conscience began to form.’
- ‘The mass destruction of Sofia's green areas must stop, a group of eco organisations said at a civic discussion in the city on June 19.’
- ‘And unlike wire hangers that bend over time, Kantor says eco hangers keep their shape.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.