One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long, thin individual cake of choux pastry filled with cream and topped with chocolate icing.
- ‘After that I shall no doubt eat a fresh cream chocolate eclair.’
- ‘Butterflies were released instead of confetti, the reception had an African theme and the cake was made up of chocolate eclairs and berries.’
- ‘As the university's famous jazz ensemble entertained, guests sampled sushi, shrimp, cheeses, fruit, sandwiches, eclairs and other desserts.’
- ‘A plateful of sinful chocolate eclairs sitting on the countertop were trying hard to call my name, flirting with my sweet tooth by offering promises of oozing cream and a sugary chocolate fondant topping.’
- ‘Will local bakeries that produce buns and chocolate eclairs be affected?’
- ‘I sort of ended up telling him the whole story over coffee and eclairs.’
- ‘It is a relatively small price to pay, however, for the abundance of cheap beer, divine chocolate eclairs and great restaurants he enjoys throughout Sofia.’
- ‘Had we the time and the sweet tooth we could have ordered a confection from the counter, anything from a Chester cake to an eclair to a scone with jam and butter.’
- ‘Graham had chocolate eclairs and I treated myself to a small pack of custard tarts.’
- ‘Plied with not just croissants, but also pains au chocolat, eclairs and elegant little cakes, the Virgos recount the tale that has secured them a footnote in British political history.’
- ‘Since chocolate eclairs taste much better than broccoli, realizing that we still like broccoli may give it a fighting chance.’
- ‘My favourite is the chocolate eclairs, although the brownies were also good.’
- ‘So with that in mind, I ordered the toffee cheesecake and then went back to Lisa's flat for chocolate eclairs.’
- ‘For dessert they selected a chocolate eclair with vanilla ice cream.’
- ‘I also have a total weakness for cakes - especially a nice sponge or some chocolate eclairs.’
- ‘Brian's no sooner plopped himself down on the sofa and doffed his designer sunglasses than he starts making trouble by helping himself to the chocolate eclairs that Michael bought especially for his outing with Dr. Dave.’
- ‘For dessert we ordered chocolate eclairs served with ice cream, chocolate and blueberry sauce.’
- ‘They were like eclairs with a marzipan, instead of a fondant, topping.’
- ‘That's a pineapple carrot cake on the bottom and whiskey eclairs in the middle and deep dish chocolate cake with the candle in it.’
- ‘I will be posting an itinerary shortly so that you can all plan your weekend around coming and supporting us in our efforts by bringing gifts of vodka and chocolate eclairs.’
Mid 19th century: from French éclair, literally ‘lightning’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.