One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recurrent pattern of coming and going or decline and regrowth.‘the ebb and flow of state politics and power’
- ‘Football at all levels thrives on that ebb and flow of teams emerging as powers to take the place of those who have fallen by the wayside.’
- ‘There have been specific tactical changes and an ebb and flow of activity.’
- ‘He is more generous with the conversational ebb and flow than he needs to be.’
- ‘It emerges from the ebb and flow of collective grievances and struggles for power.’
- ‘Each day, I'll be posting the running totals for each decade, so that you can track the ebb and flow of their fortunes as the project runs on.’
- ‘The songs in turn reflect the cyclic patterns of ebb and flow found out there in the elements.’
- ‘The ceaseless, restless ebb and flow of humanity makes up the shifting patterns of life in a city.’
- ‘The entertainment in the game was its ebb and flow, not the quality of football.’
- ‘It is the ebb and flow of workload, which is the normal professional control of the consulting engineer in the exercise of his duties.’
- ‘I bought my drink, took it to an empty table and sat back to listen to the ebb and flow of conversation around me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.