Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rough or unfinished drawing or painting; a sketch.
drawing, preliminary drawing, outlineView synonyms
- ‘Le Travaille Interrompu is in Amherst and there are highly finished areas and ones where the ebauche is visible.’
- ‘Several of his late ebauches, or sketches, predate in their impetuous composition and stark colour the work of the Fauve painters.’
- ‘"Arnault Officer" is more of a sketch than a true ebauche.’
- ‘Ebauche, is a stage of painting, the first one, in color or monochrome.’
- ‘The book includes oil sketches and ebauches by the Barbizon School.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.