One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make a humble apology and accept humiliation.‘he will have to eat humble pie at training after being sent off for punching’
back down, admit defeat, concede defeat, surrender, capitulate, yield, give in, give up, give way, cave in, submitView synonyms
- ‘I was going to make him eat humble pie on his own doorstep.’
- ‘It was a risk I was prepared to take, although if it didn't work out I knew I might have to come back and eat humble pie.’
- ‘And those predicting total economic mayhem may still be forced to eat humble pie by this time next year if economic growth starts to pick up.’
- ‘My advice to anyone who experiences difficulties with family is to swallow pride, eat humble pie if need be, but above all to go on best as can be as though nothing has happened.’
- ‘He swore to me that he had left it back in my shed, but had to eat humble pie when he discovered it was in his garage all the time.’
- ‘If I could paint a picture it would be of me eating humble pie.’
- ‘Now, seven years later, we're eating humble pie.’
- ‘Derek ate humble pie and he was very proud of me.’
- ‘The paper decides to eat humble pie, giving it a front page story and an apology, which seems to be 15 years too late.’
- ‘This Board will not be eating humble pie as he suggested.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.