One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Suffer insults or humiliation.‘the film bombed at the box office and the critics made it eat dirt’
- ‘I'd be eating dirt if I just played in a band all the time.’
- ‘Any government, any business, any individual who does not align himself with this undisputable reality will eat dirt.’
- ‘When it came to the ‘A’ Final and a head-to-head with yours truly, he made a jet-propelled getaway and left me eating dirt.’
- ‘I think I got the laws of physics a bit wrong and I was eating dirt!’
- ‘You can be rational and still find yourself eating dirt.’
- ‘The system forces the domestics to eat dirt for two years in hopes of getting into the country.’
- ‘But I couldn't stop because there was a part deep down inside of me, a voice in the back of my head that sounded remotely like my high pitched 10-year-old self that screamed at me to catch her and make her eat dirt.’
- ‘Considering he failed in a bid to become manager of Crawley Town shortly before arriving at Tynecastle, he can hardly be blamed for eating dirt at present.’
- ‘Down in the garage, the Maranello worker bees buzz about tinkering with the F2002 model, which left the competition eating dirt, and fine-tuning an updated F2003 version which promises more of the same.’
- ‘I'm guessing this is what the author wanted her to do, just prostrate herself and eat dirt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.