One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, comfortable chair, typically an armchair.
- ‘Inside the room viewers could see a clunky easy chair, a coffee table, a television and a bear's head hunting trophy high on one wall.’
- ‘Desks will be replaced with enough sofas and comfortable easy chairs and rocking chairs around the room to accommodate everyone.’
- ‘The craftsmen brought in a wide range of products, from sofa sets, chairs, swings and easy chairs to decorative furniture of various kinds, all made of bamboo.’
- ‘If the person naps, have him/her sleep in an easy chair or the sofa so they know when they wake up that the rest period was a nap - that it is not morning all over again!’
- ‘Brian sighed and leant back in his comfortable easy chair.’
- ‘Lounge on inviting velvet banquettes, leather easy chairs or oversized ottomans and sip their divine cocktails.’
- ‘Verdana threw herself into an easy chair with a comfortable sigh.’
- ‘In fact, we usually choose our easy chairs not for comfort, but for their appearance and the status we think we achieve when sitting in them.’
- ‘He seems very comfortable in an easy chair with his cooler of beer beside him.’
- ‘When the pair reached the living room, Joe and Alice were sitting in easy chairs opposite the sofa.’
- ‘Lela was taking a seat in an easy chair writing her paper.’
- ‘Duvall busied himself there as the two men settled into a sofa and an easy chair next to a very large mirror.’
- ‘There is a small kitchen in one corner, and next to it a lounge sort of area with comfortable leather couches and easy chairs, and some artistically modern coffee tables and lamps.’
- ‘The front room was more of a lounge, with two lavish easy chairs and a chaise lounge formed around a table for guests.’
- ‘Everyone was sprawled this afternoon on sofas and easy chairs, eating enormous platefuls of spaghetti and vegetables and watching a Jean-Claude Van Damme film.’
- ‘Ever since the big easy chair was reupholstered it's not as comfortable anymore.’
- ‘Until then, enjoy the awards banquet from your easy chair.’
- ‘He was required to supply nine pairs of crimson damask window curtains and upholstered the twenty stools and two easy chairs in the same material.’
- ‘You have to sit down at a computer, log on to the Net and click and scroll and sit in a chair not nearly as comfortable as the easy chair out in the family room.’
- ‘The office has a charm of its own: there are hardwood floors, exposed brick walls and ceilings, and cozy sitting areas with easy chairs and coffee tables.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.