One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, comfortable chair, typically an armchair.
- ‘The office has a charm of its own: there are hardwood floors, exposed brick walls and ceilings, and cozy sitting areas with easy chairs and coffee tables.’
- ‘In fact, we usually choose our easy chairs not for comfort, but for their appearance and the status we think we achieve when sitting in them.’
- ‘Desks will be replaced with enough sofas and comfortable easy chairs and rocking chairs around the room to accommodate everyone.’
- ‘Duvall busied himself there as the two men settled into a sofa and an easy chair next to a very large mirror.’
- ‘If the person naps, have him/her sleep in an easy chair or the sofa so they know when they wake up that the rest period was a nap - that it is not morning all over again!’
- ‘He was required to supply nine pairs of crimson damask window curtains and upholstered the twenty stools and two easy chairs in the same material.’
- ‘Lela was taking a seat in an easy chair writing her paper.’
- ‘The front room was more of a lounge, with two lavish easy chairs and a chaise lounge formed around a table for guests.’
- ‘There is a small kitchen in one corner, and next to it a lounge sort of area with comfortable leather couches and easy chairs, and some artistically modern coffee tables and lamps.’
- ‘Lounge on inviting velvet banquettes, leather easy chairs or oversized ottomans and sip their divine cocktails.’
- ‘The craftsmen brought in a wide range of products, from sofa sets, chairs, swings and easy chairs to decorative furniture of various kinds, all made of bamboo.’
- ‘Everyone was sprawled this afternoon on sofas and easy chairs, eating enormous platefuls of spaghetti and vegetables and watching a Jean-Claude Van Damme film.’
- ‘Brian sighed and leant back in his comfortable easy chair.’
- ‘Ever since the big easy chair was reupholstered it's not as comfortable anymore.’
- ‘You have to sit down at a computer, log on to the Net and click and scroll and sit in a chair not nearly as comfortable as the easy chair out in the family room.’
- ‘He seems very comfortable in an easy chair with his cooler of beer beside him.’
- ‘Inside the room viewers could see a clunky easy chair, a coffee table, a television and a bear's head hunting trophy high on one wall.’
- ‘When the pair reached the living room, Joe and Alice were sitting in easy chairs opposite the sofa.’
- ‘Verdana threw herself into an easy chair with a comfortable sigh.’
- ‘Until then, enjoy the awards banquet from your easy chair.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.