Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relaxed and tolerant in attitude or manner.‘a relaxed, easy-going atmosphere’
relaxed, even-tempered, equable, placid, mellow, mild, happy-go-lucky, serene, blithe, carefree, free and easy, nonchalant, insouciant, unruffled, unworried, untroubled, imperturbable, unexcitableamiable, considerate, undemanding, forbearing, patient, tolerant, lenient, liberal, broad-minded, open-minded, understanding, generous, indulgentgood-natured, good-humoured, pleasant, agreeable, cordiallaid-back, together, unflappable, unfazedView synonyms
- ‘He had an easy-going manner, which made him a natural and popular leader.’
- ‘The watchword here was informality, with the pair linking skits and sketches in an amiable, easy-going manner.’
- ‘What he has proved to be is a shrewd tactician and an astute responder to the public mood whose easy-going manner disguises some ruthless populism.’
- ‘To do this requires an easy-going personality, the ability to improvise, and a deep love of children.’
- ‘For some reason, he wasn't himself; normally he was so relaxed and easy-going that it got annoying.’
- ‘Instead, approach her with a mature, easy-going attitude and genuinely listen to what she has to say.’
- ‘It was the New York of its day with a cosmopolitan population and an easy-going attitude to life.’
- ‘Most of their players are casual competitors who treat the sport as a pleasant pastime and an easy-going way of relaxation.’
- ‘He is surprised that someone as laid-back and easy-going as she is could be so successful in a tough business.’
- ‘Even at the height of the business day, Montpelier had an easy-going, laid-back way about it.’
- ‘The current situation our economy faces now does not allow an easy-going attitude.’
- ‘It's amazing how paranoid I am about my handbag, considering how easy-going I am about most things.’
- ‘It's very easy to see him as the easy-going Welsh lad.’
- ‘I'm still not that tolerant or easy-going, but I'm far better than I was when I went in.’
- ‘Roger's easy-going, relaxed style made him a star performer on the European television and concert circuit.’
- ‘The Gwaliorites are traditional people and are easy-going and tolerant.’
- ‘Despite his life going downhill, he was still described by people who knew him as a gentle, placid, easy-going, amiable man.’
- ‘The mood, for the most part, was one of easy-going generosity towards the Prince.’
- ‘It eventually led to a glamorous career in which he was equally as famous for his technical skill with a camera as his easy-going manner behind it.’
- ‘By all reports, Roberts has an easy-going demeanor that would allow him to get along with all members of the Court.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.