One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spring-flowering lily.
Genus Lilium, family Liliaceae: several species, in particular the tall, white-flowered Japanese lily L. longiflorum
- ‘A friend had given us a beautiful Easter lily, two stems with four or five lilies on each, and more to come.’
- ‘After Easter lilies finish blooming indoors, they can be planted in the garden where they will often come back for several years, blooming in late summer.’
- ‘From Asiatic to Oriental lilies, from the tiger to the Easter lily, these stately, often perfumed flowers look best planted in abundance and mingled into the garden beds.’
- ‘Not counting the Easter lily, the lilies that fit most peoples’ image of this flower are any of the Oriental types.’
- ‘Gardeners report that their Easter lilies have been extra-tall and carried many blooms this year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.