One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spring-flowering lily.
Genus Lilium, family Liliaceae: several species, in particular the tall, white-flowered Japanese lily L. longiflorum
- ‘Not counting the Easter lily, the lilies that fit most peoples’ image of this flower are any of the Oriental types.’
- ‘Gardeners report that their Easter lilies have been extra-tall and carried many blooms this year.’
- ‘From Asiatic to Oriental lilies, from the tiger to the Easter lily, these stately, often perfumed flowers look best planted in abundance and mingled into the garden beds.’
- ‘After Easter lilies finish blooming indoors, they can be planted in the garden where they will often come back for several years, blooming in late summer.’
- ‘A friend had given us a beautiful Easter lily, two stems with four or five lilies on each, and more to come.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.