One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An artificial chocolate egg or decorated hard-boiled egg given at Easter.
- ‘Easter Bunny steam trains run on Sunday and Monday, for £3.50 for adults and £3 for children, and include an Easter egg.’
- ‘I wiped the chocolate from his face, pried his little sticky fingers apart and took the Easter egg from him.’
- ‘She was the lucky winner of the giant Easter egg in the local shop.’
- ‘Jill raised the money by raffling off an huge Easter egg in her school.’
- ‘A parent wouldn't have dreamed of presenting a child with felt pens instead of an Easter egg.’
- ‘Earlier this month, the school took delivery of a 1m tall Easter egg, which provided enough chocolate for family sized portions.’
- ‘The primary school raised £800 in two hours by auctioning a giant Easter egg, donated by their local confectioners.’
- ‘The Mayor and her children are all partial to a good tasting chocolate Easter egg.’
- ‘As we wipe away the smudges of the last chocolate Easter egg, a pang of guilt associated with overindulgence might raise its head.’
- ‘Members are raffling off a giant Easter egg to raise funds to bring CCTV to the town.’
- ‘There's a new kind of chocolate Easter egg on sale this year.’
- ‘The garden centre we visited later that day was huge and had a pet section so we bought Edward a dog Easter egg (made from carob).’
- ‘Every year the school has a competition and the prize is a giant Easter egg.’
- ‘The chocolatier and confectioner spent long hours creating an enormous Easter egg, weighing in at 25 kgs of plain chocolate.’
- ‘A giant Easter egg is the ideal treat for every chocoholic but getting your hands on one may not be an easy task.’
2An unexpected or undocumented feature in a piece of computer software or on a DVD, included as a joke or a bonus.
- ‘We also get a widescreen theatrical trailer as well, and a couple of Easter eggs!’
- ‘Also captivating are the various Easter eggs spread throughout the disc.’
- ‘But the real growth area today is in DVD Easter eggs, with programmers packing movies with concealed outtakes or extra interviews.’
- ‘Also on this page is an Easter egg - the trailer for Chicken Run that parodied the Gladiator trailers.’
- ‘Easter eggs are easy to find by exploring the main menu using the remote (look for the lightning bolt to pop up under the main choices).’
- ‘Adding an "Easter egg" style link to other New Yorker Video ads seems a poor reward for remote surfing.’
- ‘And scattered throughout the menus are some Easter eggs.’
- ‘The disc also offers a trailer for HVE's entire line of Zatoichi DVD releases, housed as an easy-to-find Easter egg.’
- ‘Finally, there is a really funny Easter egg located in the upper right corner of the main menu.’
- ‘The best thing about the game was finding the Easter egg.’
- ‘In the "old days," that is, the 1990s, Easter eggs might include hidden games within games.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.