Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Leading or travelling towards the east.‘eastbound trains’
- ‘The car was travelling on the eastbound carriageway, towards the Greenbridge roundabout when it left the road.’
- ‘She unfolds a page of hand-written directions and I concentrate on tail lights, changing lanes and weaving through eastbound traffic.’
- ‘As soon as work on the eastbound lanes of Columbia is completed, the northern, westbound half will be completely replaced as well.’
- ‘Following the impact, the truck careened into the eastbound lane of Highway 52, directly towards an oncoming van.’
- ‘To your left is the old ‘next train’ indicator on the eastbound platform.’
- ‘The contraflow will be switched to the westbound carriageway in late January as resurfacing starts on eastbound lanes.’
- ‘All eastbound traffic (towards Richmond) will still be able to use Heath Road throughout.’
- ‘The last carriage of an eastbound train was believed to have come off the tracks between Hammersmith and Barons Court stations.’
- ‘Two lanes of the eastbound carriageway also had to be closed because of debris and to allow access for the emergency services.’
- ‘From L.A., he had gone north up to Vancouver and had then taken an eastbound Canadian passenger train across Canada.’
- ‘An eastbound white Toyota Echo and a white Ford Falcon collided on Burragorang Rd about 3 pm.’
- ‘She carefully wheeled her suitcase over the track closer to the station, and began to await the eastbound train.’
- ‘I have criticized before the process of serving dinner on eastbound evening trains out of Chicago.’
- ‘Lane three of the eastbound carriageway was closed while police towed away the white van.’
- ‘In order to link the city to its eastern industrial and domestic markets, entrepreneurs built eastbound canals.’
- ‘Officers propose to build a special bus lane for eastbound services so they do not have to negotiate Winchester's one-way system.’
- ‘A train pulled into the eastbound platform and started emptying out.’
- ‘The eastbound carriageway will be unaffected.’
- ‘In 1886, seven ships were chartered to carry tea and silk from the Far East to Canada's west coast and provide eastbound freight for the railway.’
- ‘One eastbound lane was closed from November 29 to January 10 while work to remove the tidal flow was undertaken.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.