One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A catchy song or tune that runs continually through a person's mind.
- ‘I don't even know the tune, but those lyrics are so evocative I've still got an earworm.’
- ‘And earworm attacks were more frequent - and lasted longer - for musicians and music lovers.’
- ‘And, thanks to some overplayed commercial, my earworm du jour is "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini."’
- ‘Once heard, it becomes an earworm.’
- ‘The conversation soon settled upon my earworm of the week: Tony Christie's newly re-released (Is This The Way To) Amarillo.’
- ‘Everyone has his or her own worst earworm.’
- ‘For your listening pleasure, we present our all-time favorite Christmas earworm, "Last Christmas" by Wham!’
- ‘This was my earworm yesterday.’
- ‘Big, cinematic, anthemic - call it what you will, it's an earworm that will be sticking with you for the rest of the day.’
- ‘Any song can become an earworm, but his research has shown that some are better suited than others.’
- ‘While Sasha condemns herself to a day of Shakey, my earworm du jour is, ooh, so much classier.’
2short for corn earworm
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.