Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A collapse of a mass of earth from a mountain or cliff.
landslip, rockfall, mudslide, earthslip, earthfallView synonyms
- ‘Should an earthslip occur after the reservoir is filled the consequences would be severe.’
- ‘Earthslips are a common hazard in tropical lands.’
- ‘An unexpected earthslip wiped out of existence parts of several villages.’
- ‘The dam burst a few hours after the second earthslip.’
- ‘Several properties, consisting of meadows and vineyards, have been utterly destroyed by a great earthslip.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.