One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The glow caused by sunlight reflected by the earth on the darker portion of a crescent moon.
- ‘The measurements of albedo from earthlight for the most part sense the reflectivity of low-latitude zones because the Moon is situated roughly in the Earth's equatorial plane.’
- ‘His most recent project involves ‘earthshine’ a phenomenon that allows the state of the earth's climate to be monitored by the brightness of sunlight reflected off the earth onto the dark part of the lunar disk.’
- ‘They also felt that operating under earthshine or lunar noon were feasible, as long as thermal conditions were understood.’
- ‘Traditional folklore refers to this as the ‘Old Moon in the New Moon's arms ’, a phenomenon created by earthshine - the reflection of light from the Earth back onto the surface of the Moon.’
- ‘The new telescope will also allow Goode and his staff to continue their ground-breaking research about earthshine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.