One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A goddess symbolizing fertility and the source of life.
- ‘In this shift, the living nurturing relationship of man with nature as earth mother was replaced by the idea of man as dominating over nature.’
- ‘Well your own thoughts seem to have changed, despite this wonderful image that you've just drawn for us of connecting to the earth mother.’
- ‘She longs for the spiritual power of ancient cultures, with their rituals of blood sacrifice, mortification of the body, and celebration of the earth mother.’
- ‘Yes, when she discovers him he is surrounded by a mass of crystals and singing loopy New Age folk music, proclaiming the need to praise ‘the earth mother, father sun, and sister moon.’’
- ‘Polynesian beliefs refer to this time as Po, night, when the earth mother and sky father were joined, before their children separated them and the world was flooded by light.’
- ‘The prevailing religious practices center around the Cult of the Virgin Mary and devotion to the Pachamama, the earth mother.’
- ‘From the Greeks we inherit the concept of Gaea, or Gaia, the earth mother that gives rise to life in all its complexities.’
- ‘I ask all blessings, I ask them with reverence, of my earth mother, of the sky, moon and my sun father - the essence of life.’
- ‘The sprouting corpse evokes the promised resurrection of the dying god/king by whose cyclic sacrifice to the earth mother the barren land is made fertile.’
- ‘The mother and child is also a symbol of the procreative, regenerative power of the Goddess, the earth mother, the fecundity of primal matter and again darkness.’
- ‘Once they leave Bolivia, some Bolivian Americans fail to adhere to indigenous rituals and beliefs, such as a belief in Pachamama, the Incan earth mother, and Ekeko, an ancient god.’
- 1.1 An archetypally nurturing and maternal woman.
- ‘Lisa, earth mother and singer, could have done it all herself, I'm convinced, but she gave us the gift of letting us feel welcome and needed at this miraculous event.’
- ‘‘Even though she wasn't imprisoned in the camps, as her parents were, she was a survivor, the strongest earth mother I have ever met, hard working and dignified,’ said Matt.’
- ‘There is gentle humour here amid point-scoring office jealousies and a slow-ticking potential romance with single mum, earth mother and school teacher Wavey.’
- ‘At the same time, she conveys the spiritual warmth of an earth mother.’
- ‘I had my children and four others clinging to my leg, my hair was wildly askew and my clothes were smeared with jam: every inch the harassed earth mother.’
- ‘This is home to the wildly extended family of Roy and Bea, a bona fide earth mother.’
- ‘I get this idea with your two children now that you're turning into this great earth mother with this whole family.’
- ‘This is not an ideal picnic, I said loudly, or something to that effect, causing some barefoot earth mothers to look over.’
- ‘In recent years, she's taken on a new mantle, that of the soulful earth mother.’
- ‘Here is the essence of the Texan singer-songwriter in her 50s; on her 15th studio album, she is both earth mother and political campaigner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.