One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of wax, rubber, or cotton wool placed in the ear as protection against noise, water, or cold air.
- ‘If the noise level rises above that point, hearing protection, earplugs or a similar device, would be required.’
- ‘During races at the California Speedway, when many fans wear earplugs to muffle the sound of the cars screaming around the track, the noise filters into surrounding neighborhoods.’
- ‘The speakers are also big on options, but before delving into technical specifics, let's just say that your neighbors better get out their earplugs.’
- ‘Wear earplugs and an eye mask if your sleep environment is too noisy or too bright.’
- ‘Surfers are then advised to protect their ears from further exposure to water by wearing earplugs, using a neoprene hood or wearing a helmet.’
- ‘It's too hot to wear earplugs, and unbearably uncomfortable if your entire body is covered by the sarong, including your head.’
- ‘If noise is a problem, use a fan to cover the noise or use earplugs.’
- ‘They give you earplugs, but the noise is very loud and very pervasive.’
- ‘The blasts were so common, and so loud, that she started wearing earplugs.’
- ‘When washing the child's hair, use earplugs to stop soapy water getting into the child's ears.’
- ‘And yes, it's true that I've taken to wearing earplugs during the pipe band's practice sessions.’
- ‘Is it ethical to ignore the commercials, or close your eyes and wear earplugs when they're playing?’
- ‘And to make his hearing loss look realistic, he wore earplugs throughout the five-week shoot in Spain.’
- ‘There was no use talking anymore, even without the earplugs, conversation would've been impossible over the scream of the electric guitar.’
- ‘Noise-induced hearing loss can be prevented by avoiding excessive noise and using hearing protection such as earplugs and earmuffs.’
- ‘You should always use earmuffs or properly fitted earplugs to reduce the noise getting into your inner ear.’
- ‘In pursuit of answers to these puzzling questions, I donned shin pads and earplugs then visited a local chihuahua show.’
- ‘He had inserted earplugs to soften the noise of his daughter, he said, but these served only to damage his middle ear and his balance.’
- ‘Put petroleum jelly on pieces of cotton to use as earplugs for swimming or showering.’
- ‘Perhaps the best protection when forced to remain in an excessively noisy environment is to wear earplugs to reduce the sound assault upon the ear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.