One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sincere and intense conviction.‘he tells his story with intense earnestness’‘the deadly earnestness of the conversation’
- ‘His problem was not lack of earnestness or sincerity.’
- ‘But admirers praise his earnestness, humor and congeniality.’
- ‘A mask of moral earnestness may well be a PM's best friend.’
- ‘Whilst few doubt his earnestness, many doubt both his room for manoeuvre and his physical ability.’
- ‘The film is funny, and sweet, and captures that earnestness that goes so well with teen angst.’
- ‘At 50, he has a boyish thatch of brown hair and an expression of implacable earnestness.’
- ‘All these folks bring a serious earnestness to their roles, which nicely matches the show's overall tone.’
- ‘He invests his character's single-minded quest for meaning with a mixture of childlike earnestness and unpredictable aggression.’
- ‘Yeah, I'm a cynic, but I don't doubt the earnestness of our heroes.’
- ‘I was one of those city editors, and I well recall his great earnestness, amounting almost to moral indignation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.