One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With sincere and intense conviction; seriously.‘they earnestly hope to come back in the summer’
seriously, solemnly, gravely, soberly, sincerely, intently, resolutely, firmlyView synonyms
- ‘They earnestly hope to come back in the summer and they are most grateful for the kindness shown in Rathdowney and other areas.’
- ‘I earnestly looked through the magazine hoping to find some justification for the cover.’
- ‘I know that he earnestly and seriously believes the factual content of everything he says.’
- ‘Any given scientific project may be good, but it may also be earnestly pursued and gravely in error.’
- ‘Many of the youngsters entering the arena of serious theatre now take this objective quite earnestly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.