Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
With sincere and intense conviction; seriously.‘they earnestly hope to come back in the summer’
seriously, solemnly, gravely, soberly, sincerely, intently, resolutely, firmlyardently, fervently, warmly, keenly, eagerly, intensely, zealouslyView synonyms
- ‘They earnestly hope to come back in the summer and they are most grateful for the kindness shown in Rathdowney and other areas.’
- ‘I know that he earnestly and seriously believes the factual content of everything he says.’
- ‘Many of the youngsters entering the arena of serious theatre now take this objective quite earnestly.’
- ‘I earnestly looked through the magazine hoping to find some justification for the cover.’
- ‘Any given scientific project may be good, but it may also be earnestly pursued and gravely in error.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.