Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Money paid to confirm a contract.‘the earnest money shall be enclosed along with the sealed tender documents’
- ‘To me, this program is no different than a real estate escrow account where the agency holds your earnest money.’
- ‘The contractors, who had been allotted the work of providing roads, sewerage, water supply, stormwater drainage and streetlights in the area, have been asked to take back the earnest money deposited by them.’
- ‘When the stock market started getting a little bit fishy last year, we saw people walk away from significant earnest money, like $70,000, saying they'd come back later.’
- ‘He invited bids from construction companies and required a deposit from each as earnest money.’
- ‘The downside is, you have to close, or you walk away from your earnest money.’
- ‘I paid him on your account 8 drachmae as earnest money to catch mice in Toka.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.