One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an author, book, recording artist, etc.) generate sufficient income through sales to equal the amount paid in an advance or royalty.‘four out of five of his books did not earn out their advance’
- ‘So it may be the case that a writer gets one big advance, which is not earned out, and then - turn out the light.’
- ‘Miss Smith, we gather, is a little worried that she has not earned out her advance.’
- ‘I can also assure you that most books never earn out their advance.’
- ‘It was one of these cult success books, but it never earned out its advance - everybody loved it but no one wanted to buy it.’
- ‘The distinguished lady novelist who boasted proudly that her books always earned out their advances.’
- ‘For your first novel the sales figures they want are the ones that earn out your advance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.