One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of soft fabric coverings, connected by a band across the top of the head, that are worn over the ears to protect them from cold or noise.
- ‘Hearing protection devices, like earplugs, earmuffs and canal caps, are sold in drugstores and hardware stores.’
- ‘The company offers amber shooting glasses, folding earmuffs, and padded headband earmuffs.’
- ‘Noise-induced hearing loss can be prevented by avoiding excessive noise and using hearing protection such as earplugs and earmuffs.’
- ‘As for the night, you better have a good pair of earmuffs if you want to get a nice sleep down in downtown.’
- ‘She was wearing a large brown coat that went all the way down to here ankles and a pair of large earmuffs.’
- ‘Each of the girls, as well as Ethan, wore their thickest coats and warmest mittens, as well as scarves and hats and earmuffs.’
- ‘Even with the earmuffs on, the noise was deafening.’
- ‘With two sweaters, three turtlenecks, earmuffs and a scarf, I had everything I needed for a wonderful European vacation.’
- ‘The boys ran through the hallways, wrapped in pea coats and scarves, mittens and earmuffs.’
- ‘Katelyn stood out in the snow, bundled up in her scarf, coat, sweater, and earmuffs.’
- ‘Sarah picked up a pair of black earmuffs and placed them over her ears and slipped on a pair of black leather gloves as Alli started the target machine.’
- ‘I took off my earmuffs and protective glasses, tossing them on a nearby chair.’
- ‘A good set of earmuffs can reduce noise as much as plugs can, he says.’
- ‘She dressed in her winter warmest: black peacoat, warm scarf, mittens, earmuffs, and three layers of socks.’
- ‘Even if they portray the latest style or texture, earmuffs are just completely out of style.’
- ‘By 1997 the pair had sold more than 600,000 earmuffs on the home-shopping network.’
- ‘However, when exposure is unavoidable, use earplugs or earmuffs to protect your ears from most common noise sources.’
- ‘Gordon said for headgear the team members will probably wear headbands, earmuffs and caps in the place of traditional nassait.’
- ‘Billy noticed that there was no longer any noise, and took the earmuffs off.’
- ‘A warm, waterproof ski coat or parka is essential, as well as hats, waterproof gloves, socks, pants and earmuffs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.