Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Medieval, Renaissance, and early baroque music, especially as revived and played on period instruments.‘a recital of early music’as modifier ‘an Early Music society’
- ‘The a cappella choir, which usually has around 24 members, performs early music at two major concerts and at numerous other events throughout the year.’
- ‘He probably had as much personal acquaintance with early music as nearly anyone of his time.’
- ‘Musicology has now long provided a sophisticated research tool, and the amount of early music plucked from obscurity and subjected to expert scrutiny grows continuously.’
- ‘As an organist, Bach has always been fundamental and, I am keenly drawn to him and to early music as well.’
- ‘If you enjoy early music, this new CD is a don't miss proposition.’
- ‘So I would have festivals within the festival, centred around jazz, or early music, or world music.’
- ‘Their enthusiasm, for both the playing and the research involved in bringing early music to contemporary audiences, was palpable.’
- ‘The English conductor and early music specialist offers a reading of blistering psychological intensity and first-rate musical integrity.’
- ‘He has performed with many of the leading instrumentalists and ensembles of early music, and has been involved in a great many recordings of note.’
- ‘On the other hand, the director did opt for authentic Jacobean clothing and a band of specialised early music theatre musicians.’
- ‘At this point a comparison between the original facsimile score and any of the modern transcriptions would shed light on issues of editing early music.’
- ‘Britain's foremost celebration of early music, York Early Music Festival, is celebrating 600 years of the musical traditions of England and York from today until July 13.’
- ‘It is also considered disruptive to clap individual songs or short instrumental pieces rather than at the end of each group at lieder recitals or early music concerts.’
- ‘The response of professional early music groups to the questions raised has taken two broad directions.’
- ‘The Times reckons York Early Music Festival to be ‘Britain's most prominent early music festival’.’
- ‘Several of these specialize in early music, an area with small but intense support relative to the rest of the classical music scene.’
- ‘The seminal role played by the availability of good editions in the revival of early music could not be more apparent than in the case of Boyce.’
- ‘I would prefer the more opulent, intense and intonationally varied vocalism of early music singers.’
- ‘Based in Amsterdam, The Fortuna Consort is an early music group exploring renaissance consort music in the form of recorder trio and lute.’
- ‘The open-ended nature of early music perfectly suits Giger's style, which is essentially thoughtful, exploratory, challenging, and mysterious.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.