One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft, rounded fleshy part hanging from the lower margin of the ear.
- ‘Antitragus piercing is performed through the ridge of cartilage immediately above the earlobe.’
- ‘The pain often gets worse when the outer part of the ear or earlobe is touched.’
- ‘A quick pull on the earlobe, a push on the tragus and a look into the canal confirmed the diagnosis of external otitis.’
- ‘The money was used to buy a pulse oximeter, a hand-held piece of equipment which is attached to an ear lobe or finger and checks lung function quickly and easily.’
- ‘I've recently noticed a swelling on my jawbone just below my earlobe.’
- ‘A hole is pierced through the fatty tissue of the earlobe and an earring (usually a small gold stud) is inserted.’
- ‘A useful guide to whether a patient has parotid enlargement is to look for outward deflection of the ear lobe, which is seen in true parotid swelling.’
- ‘The girl had a rash on her earlobe and a painful lump just below the lobe.’
- ‘Despite active service during the entire war he escaped unscathed apart from a nick out of his ear lobe caused by a sniper's bullet.’
- ‘Ticks most often sting in the areas around the neck, behind the ear lobe and in the groin area.’
- ‘A bad infection can be recognized by pain experienced while chewing, or by discomfort noticed when tugging on the earlobes.’
- ‘Eddie reached up and fingered his right ear lobe gingerly.’
- ‘He wouldn't let go of his grip on her as he kissed her ear lobe delicately.’
- ‘When the outer ear, the area between the earlobe and the eardrum, becomes infected it's known as ‘swimmer's ear’.’
- ‘Ear piercing of fatty tissue on the ear lobe is regulated, but the increasingly fashionable procedure on the cartilage is classified as body-piercing, which is uncontrolled.’
- ‘She had brownish hair that stopped a little bit under her ear lobes, and I hated to admit it but she was a little pretty.’
- ‘The primary symptom of otitis externa is ear pain, which can be severe and gets worse when the earlobe or other exterior part of the ear is touched or moved.’
- ‘Help the water run out of your ears by turning your head to each side and pulling the earlobe in different directions.’
- ‘Upon closer inspection I also noticed a tiny stud on his left ear lobe.’
- ‘For example, the nickel found in some jewellery may cause eczema on the ear lobes, wrists, and around the neck.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.