Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A soft, rounded fleshy part hanging from the lower margin of the ear.
- ‘The pain often gets worse when the outer part of the ear or earlobe is touched.’
- ‘The primary symptom of otitis externa is ear pain, which can be severe and gets worse when the earlobe or other exterior part of the ear is touched or moved.’
- ‘For example, the nickel found in some jewellery may cause eczema on the ear lobes, wrists, and around the neck.’
- ‘Despite active service during the entire war he escaped unscathed apart from a nick out of his ear lobe caused by a sniper's bullet.’
- ‘Eddie reached up and fingered his right ear lobe gingerly.’
- ‘A useful guide to whether a patient has parotid enlargement is to look for outward deflection of the ear lobe, which is seen in true parotid swelling.’
- ‘The money was used to buy a pulse oximeter, a hand-held piece of equipment which is attached to an ear lobe or finger and checks lung function quickly and easily.’
- ‘He wouldn't let go of his grip on her as he kissed her ear lobe delicately.’
- ‘Help the water run out of your ears by turning your head to each side and pulling the earlobe in different directions.’
- ‘A quick pull on the earlobe, a push on the tragus and a look into the canal confirmed the diagnosis of external otitis.’
- ‘When the outer ear, the area between the earlobe and the eardrum, becomes infected it's known as ‘swimmer's ear’.’
- ‘Ticks most often sting in the areas around the neck, behind the ear lobe and in the groin area.’
- ‘The girl had a rash on her earlobe and a painful lump just below the lobe.’
- ‘Upon closer inspection I also noticed a tiny stud on his left ear lobe.’
- ‘A bad infection can be recognized by pain experienced while chewing, or by discomfort noticed when tugging on the earlobes.’
- ‘A hole is pierced through the fatty tissue of the earlobe and an earring (usually a small gold stud) is inserted.’
- ‘She had brownish hair that stopped a little bit under her ear lobes, and I hated to admit it but she was a little pretty.’
- ‘Antitragus piercing is performed through the ridge of cartilage immediately above the earlobe.’
- ‘Ear piercing of fatty tissue on the ear lobe is regulated, but the increasingly fashionable procedure on the cartilage is classified as body-piercing, which is uncontrolled.’
- ‘I've recently noticed a swelling on my jawbone just below my earlobe.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.