One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Plugs or earmuffs which protect the eardrums from loud or persistent noise.
- ‘When the guns fire, the noise is thunderous and ear-splitting, even through ear defenders.’
- ‘Some may have been wearing ear defenders to protect themselves from the sound of plant machinery.’
- ‘Five days ago you couldn't keep this cat in, well not without the aid of ear defenders at any rate.’
- ‘But in many cases the precaution may be tedious or uncomfortable, for example the need to use ear defenders in noisy surroundings or breathing apparatus in dusty ones.’
- ‘Binaural masking noise (similar to environmental noise) was presented over headphones, first occluding with modified tympanometry earpieces and then with ear defenders.’
- ‘And don't forget the ear defenders if you do venture into her domain.’
- ‘Three very ordinary looking men of around 50, one wearing industrial ear defenders.’
- ‘This is not for the fainthearted; indeed ear defenders will be available.’
- ‘Health and Safety note - the young guy did put ear defenders on eventually.’
- ‘It may emerge that the gloves, goggles, ear defenders and caps in the famous photograph were indeed precautions for the prisoners' comfort and safety.’
- ‘Those in the know come equipped with ear defenders or sleek noise-cancelling headphones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.