One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Plugs or earmuffs which protect the eardrums from loud or persistent noise.
- ‘Three very ordinary looking men of around 50, one wearing industrial ear defenders.’
- ‘Binaural masking noise (similar to environmental noise) was presented over headphones, first occluding with modified tympanometry earpieces and then with ear defenders.’
- ‘Five days ago you couldn't keep this cat in, well not without the aid of ear defenders at any rate.’
- ‘But in many cases the precaution may be tedious or uncomfortable, for example the need to use ear defenders in noisy surroundings or breathing apparatus in dusty ones.’
- ‘Those in the know come equipped with ear defenders or sleek noise-cancelling headphones.’
- ‘Health and Safety note - the young guy did put ear defenders on eventually.’
- ‘And don't forget the ear defenders if you do venture into her domain.’
- ‘When the guns fire, the noise is thunderous and ear-splitting, even through ear defenders.’
- ‘This is not for the fainthearted; indeed ear defenders will be available.’
- ‘It may emerge that the gloves, goggles, ear defenders and caps in the famous photograph were indeed precautions for the prisoners' comfort and safety.’
- ‘Some may have been wearing ear defenders to protect themselves from the sound of plant machinery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.