One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large Old World owl with ear tufts and a deep hoot.
Genus Bubo, family Strigidae: several species
- ‘A leading animal expert has promised to come to Bolton in a bid to catch a rare eagle owl which has been circling the town all week.’
- ‘Local bird enthusiasts have questioned whether Solly is, as his owners believe, a European, rather than an African eagle owl.’
- ‘Children were thrilled to be able to stroke a beautiful barn owl, while an enormous eagle owl, a tawny owl, a kestrel and a turkey vulture called George looked on.’
- ‘The eagle owl that made a flying visit to Market Street, Haverfordwest, last week spent most of the weekend playing hide and seek with his owners.’
- ‘We may find some consolation in taking a look at a smaller relative of the eagle owl, the short-eared owl, which is fairly widespread in parts of Britain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.