Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Discarded electronic appliances such as mobile phones, computers, and televisions.
- ‘If you're part of the 20 % trying to do the right thing by recycling your e-waste, there's something else to worry about.’
- ‘Some old equipment gets passed on to worthy causes, some is stored, but the majority of "e-waste" ends up in the landfill.’
- ‘Approximately 55 million computers will be retired this year alone, making up the majority of the 3 million tons of e-waste that annually ends up in landfills.’
- ‘China, for example, has become a cache for vast amounts of e-waste.’
- ‘They see e-waste getting plugged into municipal waste collection procedures.’
- ‘Using current deposit recycling programs as a model, there's an effort afoot to have manufacturers take responsibility for e-waste.’
- ‘The e-waste generated annually worldwide is thought to be in the 20-50 million-ton range.’
- ‘Reports say young children are employed to smash up computers and water supplies are polluted by ' e-waste '.’
- ‘Environment Canada reports that our electronic waste - known as e-waste and including things like VCRs and stereos - totalled 157,000 tonnes in 2002.’
- ‘It goes without saying that it is the developed countries that generate the bulk of the e-waste.’
- ‘Europe is leading the way in reducing "e-waste" with all computer manufacturers required to have recycling programs in place by 2003.’
- ‘Even as India heads for an e-waste crisis, most of the global electronic brands have no functioning e-waste takeback services in India.’
- ‘No doubt as a metropolis and the largest economic centre in China, Shanghai will inevitably produce a huge amount of such e-waste.’
- ‘The recycling of e-waste can thus provide business opportunities for the enterprising.’
- ‘What really counts is not the funds and technology to dispose of e-waste but the collecting network.’
- ‘Duncan says it is important that consumers of computers and other potential e-waste think ahead when they buy.’
- ‘Gattuso also points out the lack of scientific evidence that e-waste in landfills presents health risks.’
- ‘Without doubt the disposal of e-waste poses a difficult problem.’
- ‘Ravindra said most of the IT companies were not fully aware of the implications of unscientific disposal of e-waste.’
- ‘Beckles highlighted the issue yesterday during the opening ceremony of a two-day symposium on e-waste at Crowne Plaza, Port-of-Spain.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.