One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A state of abnormal muscle tone resulting in muscular spasm and abnormal posture, typically due to neurological disease or a side effect of drug therapy.
- ‘Within months the neurological disorder focal dystonia took full hold, leaving his hand permanently clenched and unusable.’
- ‘Muscle spasms also will be common in conjunction with moderate to severe muscle weakness, tremor, and/or dystonia.’
- ‘Those who tend to hyperextend the neck due to chorea or dystonia should be encouraged and reminded to use a ‘chin-tuck’ position.’
- ‘A diagnosis of focal dystonia was made, and injections of botulinum toxin were offered.’
- ‘Writer's cramp is the commonest form of focal hand dystonia and is thought to be due to basal ganglia dysfunction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.