Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Exerting a detrimental effect on later generations through the inheritance of undesirable characteristics.‘dysgenic breeding’
- ‘In the generations following a dysgenic cross, the IF invades the genome until it reaches 10-15 copies per haploid genome and is progressively repressed through an autoregulation process.’
- ‘These dysgenic females were highly sterile due to a high level of I retrotransposition.’
- ‘War was considered dysgenic - it killed off society's best.’
- ‘This dysgenic crisis would surely bring communism and the regression of mankind.’
- ‘Another fact that supports the DHPR role in the slow calcium signal is the complete absence of response in electrically stimulated myotubes derived from the dysgenic cell line.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.