Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Exerting a detrimental effect on later generations through the inheritance of undesirable characteristics.‘dysgenic breeding’
- ‘Another fact that supports the DHPR role in the slow calcium signal is the complete absence of response in electrically stimulated myotubes derived from the dysgenic cell line.’
- ‘These dysgenic females were highly sterile due to a high level of I retrotransposition.’
- ‘This dysgenic crisis would surely bring communism and the regression of mankind.’
- ‘In the generations following a dysgenic cross, the IF invades the genome until it reaches 10-15 copies per haploid genome and is progressively repressed through an autoregulation process.’
- ‘War was considered dysgenic - it killed off society's best.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.