One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance yielding a dye or that can be used as a dye, especially when in solution.
colourant, colouring agent, colouring, colour, pigment, tint, stain, washView synonyms
- ‘Germany had a virtual monopoly of the production of artificial dyestuffs, in which the record of the Badische Anilin and Soda Fabrik at Ludwigshafen was outstanding.’
- ‘Crimson comes ultimately from the name of a small insect from which a red dyestuff is obtained.’
- ‘If the term high-tech had been in use around 1860, it would certainly have applied to the industrial manufacture of synthetic dyestuffs.’
- ‘Whereas the alizarin molecules made synthetically were identical to those extracted from madder root, the actual synthetic dyestuff was different from the natural dye.’
- ‘Loosening makes the tanning agents, fats, dyestuffs and other substances, penetrate easily into the hide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.