Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unchanging in a particular belief or opinion; inveterate.‘she's a true blue dyed-in-the-wool Conservative’
inveterate, confirmed, entrenched, established, long-established, long-standing, deep-rooted, diehard, complete, absolute, utter, thorough, thoroughgoing, out-and-out, true blue, through and throughView synonyms
- ‘A haunter of bookshops since his childhood, spent north and west of Kensington Gardens, he was a dyed in the wool bookman, and was perhaps the last Man of Letters to have read ‘everything’.’
- ‘Being a dyed in the wool researcher, he uncovers many facts not generally known, in his quest for the real origins of present day English.’
- ‘Now I am a dyed in the wool Alabama fan, but I must admit I had a great time at the game.’
- ‘She was a dyed in the wool Londoner and his family didn't really approve.’
- ‘Telling this sort of thing to dyed in the wool liberals is guaranteed to wind them up and inevitably turns the whole thing into a slanging match.’
- ‘There is nothing for you here - I'm a dyed in the wool centre lefter.’
- ‘My grandfather, who is a dear man, but a dyed in the wool Socialist, told me that the general was a traitor to his race for taking a job with third administration.’
- ‘Being a dyed in the wool racer, I admit I will watch anything going round and round, even if it has a lawn mower engine.’
- ‘This guy used to be a dyed in the wool reactionary but I've noticed that lately he's been well… pretty sensible and rational.’
- ‘Well, I suppose if you were a Dodger fan you might have a different view of things, but, as I am a dyed in the wool Angel fan, I was ecstatic with our 9-shelling of the Dodger bullpen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.