Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A house used as a residence rather than for business.
residence, place of residence, place of habitation, home, house, accommodation, lodging place, billetView synonyms
- ‘As a result the plaintiff did not obtain possession of a dwelling house which he had let and he and his wife had to live in cramped conditions with his parents in law.’
- ‘He outlined that his farm comprised a yard, buildings and a dwelling house and the land was divided into six symmetrical fields varying in size from about 12 to 15 acres.’
- ‘Area 1 continued, throughout this period, to be used for purposes incidental or ancillary to the use of the Cottage as a dwelling house, but agriculture ceased as a primary use of this land.’
- ‘He is seeking planning permission from the council to erect a dwelling house, septic tank and percolation area here.’
- ‘It simply meant that any building or any part thereof had to be used as a dwelling house.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.