Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Time spent in the same position, area, stage of a process, etc.‘the dwell time of the fibres in the drum’count noun ‘the dwell times of the different lasers’
- ‘About fifteen minutes before impact, Rosetta will start observing the comet with shorter dwell time, as fast changes are expected due to the impact.’
- ‘These ‘multi-tau’ correlators calculate the correlation function using many different dwell times in comparison with the single dwell time used in earlier linear correlators.’
- ‘Critical in postassembly dispense processes, flow or dwell time is the time required to allow dispensed adhesive to fully flow into the well and core.’
- ‘The dwell time of the powder ignition doesn't have a chance to appreciably raise the temperature of the lead.’
- ‘A nonparametric kernel density estimate is constructed by representing each sojourn by a kernel function positioned at the actual value of the sampled dwell time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.