One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A celestial body resembling a small planet but lacking certain technical criteria that are required for it to be classed as such.
- ‘In 2006 Pluto was officially downgraded from planet to dwarf planet, causing much controversy in astronomical circles.’
- ‘Ceres and Xena will also be considered dwarf planets.’
- ‘A paper in the journal Science has further relegated poor Pluto's status by proving that twin dwarf planet Eris is 27 per cent larger.’
- ‘"If you look to the left ladies and gentlemen you will get a perfect view of the dwarf planet Eris."’
- ‘After being downgraded from a planet to a dwarf planet last year, it now transpires it is not even the biggest of those.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.