One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in ancient Rome) each of two magistrates or officials holding a joint office.
- ‘The board of magistrates consisted of two duumvirs, two aediles - they were in charge of public buildings, streets, markets, etc. and two quaestors - treasury officers.’
- ‘Apuleius's father held the office of duumvir, the highest magisterial position in Madaura; after his father's death Apuleius rose to duumvir himself, and inherited part of the sum of nearly two million sesterces his father bequeathed to his two sons.’
- ‘As the city's prefects, the duumvirs are jointly responsible for the protection of the city, the criminal court and the general good order.’
- ‘He uses a well-known example from Puteoli in Italy where the duumvirs ordered the construction of a wall and a gate from a private entrepreneur in the year 105 BC.’
- ‘He had risen through the bureaucracy of Naples as municipal quaestor, aedile, duumvir.’
- ‘According to tradition, it was vowed in 499 B.C. by the dictator Postumius, when the Dioscuri appeared on this spot after the battle of Lake Regillus, and dedicated in 484 by the son of the dictator who was appointed duumvir for this purpose.’
- ‘The most common are vacuum and continuum; the less common ones are menstruum, residuum, triduum, and the distinctly rare duumvir and duumvirate.’
- ‘Son of a duumvir, he attended university in Carthage, Athens, and Rome and studied, amongst other subjects, Platonic philosophy and Latin oratory.’
- ‘Volubilis, which seems to have aided the Roman side, was elevated to the rank of municipium, governed no longer by suffetes but by duumvirs, or annual magistrates.’
- ‘There is no mention of any veto power, and the officials are duumvirs, aediles, augurs, and priests.’
- ‘It was built by the duumvir (one of the two top local officials) Marcus Tullius at his expense in honour of the Emperor Augustus.’
- ‘The inscription across the front attests that two duumvirs, Flaccus and Caledus, ‘caused the measures to be made equal’ to the new requirements.’
- ‘Paul cast out the spirit; and her owners brought him and Silas before the magistrates, the duumvirs, who inflicted summary chastisement, never imagining they were Romans.’
Latin, from duum virum ‘of the two men’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.