Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The cycle of operation of a machine or other device which operates intermittently rather than continuously.
- ‘Finally, as this satellite system is designed for packet data, it is very well suited for millions of endpoint devices operating with low duty cycles.’
- ‘In terms of intermittent exercise, this means the duty cycle must decrease as exercise intensity increases if the exercise is to be repeated without a decline in performance.’
- ‘One, the duty cycle is decreased in patients with asthma, which tends to decrease the tension-time index.’
- ‘The only accurate way to get results is to monitor the vehicle as goes through its normal duty cycle under real-world conditions.’
- ‘Reliability numbers are based and predicated on an expected duty cycle and mode of operation.’
- ‘A lower duty cycle will in turn decrease the average power output per unit time for intermittent exercise.’
- ‘It will do a duty cycle of 35,000 pages a month and warms up in under three minutes.’
- ‘I just never thought we'd have anything that would be big enough that called for a heavy duty cycle.’
- ‘Like all the other printers, they differ in their duty cycle.’
- ‘As you can see from this method, the greater the duty cycle of the square wave, the longer the CPU is inactive; hence the greater the power savings.’
- ‘The technical specifications of a tape drive indicate how high a duty cycle it will best operate in.’
- ‘The duty cycle was similar in all three patient groups.’
- ‘The magnitude of the reference voltage will regulate the pulse width of the output signal, as well as the duty cycle of the output signal.’
- ‘A phase discriminator samples the output of the oscillator and accumulates data representing the duty cycle of that signal.’
- ‘The duty cycle is variably selectable with either first or second pulse width modulated frequency.’
- ‘Maybe they've had a repeat failure with a component or an unusual duty cycle.’
- ‘Most of today's major tape formats have a mean time between failures rated at over 300,000 hours at a full duty cycle, while most media cartridges have an estimated lifespan of over 30 years.’
- ‘Maximum duty cycle is 65,000 pages per month and finishing options including sorter, stapler, feeder and duplex modes are available.’
- ‘In patients with chronic heart failure, exercise increases the duty cycle (by decreasing expiratory time) and decreases lung compliance.’
- ‘It's a medium hard brake circuit so we've been able to do a brake duty cycle and things like that.’
- 1.1The time occupied by the cycle of operation of a machine or other device, especially as a percentage of available time.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.